Saturday, November 15, 2008

I don't get it

I haven't posted here in a long time, and I doubt if anyone will actually read this, but I have to say something about the recent gay marriage bans that passed.

I. Don't. Get. It.

Why? Why would you keep two people from getting married? What do you care? Even if your deity says its wrong, it doesn't affect you in any way. Your church doesn't have to marry them, and the government can't make you. You don't have to get married to anyone. It doesn't impact your current marriage. Why would you vote for this?

I don't know. You must have greater faith than me, because if my god told me to oppress a group of people, to deny them their rights, to keep them from happiness, I would tell my god to piss off. And, I think that any god worth their followers would be happy with me.

I guess its because I know that 40 years ago, I wouldn't have been allowed to marry my husband in a lot of places in the US, because we're (gasp) not from the same race. Maybe that's why I'm so sympathetic to this problem. Or maybe its cause I'm a flaming liberal.

Or maybe because I think people should be able to try and be happy.

4 comments:

Liana Weiland said...

I love you! I know this is an old post, but I clicked through from Ravelry and just thought I would give you love! :)

~woodlandchild

Bunny Queen said...

Flame on, my friend! As a woman who *gasp* married a woman last year in California before they banned gay marriage, I could not agree with you more. Personally, I wish the government would just decide that all legal "marriages" were "civil unions" or some other term and leave "marriage" to the church. It really seems to be the word, not the living-together-insurance-legal rights-etc. that is the real issue. *sigh*

Kelly said...

Great post. I don't get it either. But then again, I'm Canadian. Not to say that we don't have people opposed to it here, but I've attended several gay marriages. No big issues.

Anonymous said...

your post is important regardless of who does or does not read!